Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Research Process

Has your opinion on the research process changed? Does it seem any easier? Examine how you have done research in the past, do you recognize areas that you will do different now? Write a few hints to yourself (and other classmates) about things you have learned or realized in this course that you could review before starting your next research project for a class in the future.

Yes, my opinion on the research process has changed, and it does seem easier now. I used to do most of my research on the internet, and did not look as much to printed sources and journals. My chosen topic for the research project deals with geodesic domes. I did not realize before that Google offered a book search and an image search. Since the geodesic dome is a recognizable object, I would like to include some references to images in my research report. In this class, I have gained new respect for the Library of Congress subject headings and printed ready reference sources such as the Statistical Abstract. While the Statistical Abstract may not have much to do with researching geodesic domes, the volume has a lot of good ready reference information. Additionally, the Library of Congress subject headings suggest additional areas to search on and to consider adding to the research process--like domes, arches, and architectural elements.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gail,

    I definitely agree with how the research process has become easier after participating in this class. There are definitely A LOT of resources out there that I wasn't aware of and which are extremely helpful.

    Best of luck

    Hang

    ReplyDelete